The Bell System is making the transition from alphanumeric telephone numbers ("PEnnsylvania 6-5000") to seven-digit numbers. The reason: to make more numbers available for the ever-increasing number of what were sometimes still called "telephone sets."
* "Mr. Digit and the Battle of Bubbling Brook" (Bell System film, 1961): @
* History of telephone prefixes (from privateline.com): @
* Telephone EXchange Name Project: @
* Time magazine article, May 11, 1962: @
* Time magazine article, July 13, 1962: @
* "The Let's All Call Up AT&T and Protest to the President March" (Allan Sherman song, 1963): @