Members of the anti-apartheid African National Congress -- including Nelson Mandela, left -- are acquitted of high treason after a trial that began in 1956. The accused all had a hand in adopting the Freedom Charter in 1955; South Africa's government had claimed they were conspiring to set up a Communist state.
* Summary of trial (from about.com): @
* In-depth look at trial (from South African History Online): @
* Links to trial materials: (from overcomingapartheid.msu.edu): @
* Text of Freedom Charter (from ANC website): @
* Mandela's testimony from 1960 (from nelsonmandela.org): @
* Banning of ANC (blog entry from March 8, 1960): @