Nine students from all-black Tougaloo College in Mississippi attempt to integrate the Jackson Public Library, which at the time served only white patrons. The students are arrested and charged with breaching the peace and held in jail for 36 hours. This sets in motion further demonstrations.
* Summary of events (from Civil Rights Movement Veterans website): @
* Summary of events (from Mississippi Heritage Trust): @
* Two articles from Jackson newspapers: (from Mississippi Department of Archives and History): @ and @
* "African Americans of Jackson" (search book for "Tougaloo Nine" for more images): @
* More about Tougaloo's role in civil rights movement (from National Park Service): @
* Civil Rights Documentation Project (from University of Southern Mississippi): @