President Johnson today signed into law a "clean air" bill designed to channel $95 million in federal funds into a four-year program to fight air pollution.
The legislation authorizes the Department of Health, Education and Welfare to conduct research into the problem of air pollution, which some experts say is becoming a national menace.
It also would permit federal aid to states and communities which are fighting air pollution.
In signing the measure, Johnson said it would combat a "serious and growing" hazard. He said an estimated 6,000 U.S. communities need the type of assistance provide by the bill.
States will retain the primary responsibility for controlling and reducing pollution except in those cases where pollution from one source -- such as a concentration of factories -- affects more than one state.
In such cases federal authorities may seek relief in court if a voluntary solution is unsuccessful.
The federal aid program involves grants on a matching basis on a matching basis of one state dollar for every two federal dollars put up. Regional grants are based on matching of three-quarters federal, one-quarter state.
The bill signed today is an authorization measure and sets the ceiling on how much money can be spent. Actual appropriations will come later.
-- Story from United Press International.
-- 1953 photo of New York from Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images. Original caption reads, "Several people standing on the top of a building looking down in to the downtown misty smog that is covering the Empire State and surrounding buildings."
* Text of original law (from www.wilderness.net): @
* President Johnson's remarks: @
* Text of amended law (from U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works): @
* "Clean Air Requirements and History" (from Environmental Protection Agency): @
- ► 2016 (41)
- ► 2015 (90)
- ► 2014 (106)
- 1963: Year in review
- Sunday, December 29, 1963: 'The Making of the Pres...
- Friday, December 27, 1963: 'What Songs the Beatles...
- Tuesday, December 17, 1963: Clean Air Act
- Thursday, December 12, 1963: Kenya
- 1963: Videotape recorder
- Saturday, December 7, 1963: 'The Johnson Treatment...
- Saturday, December 7, 1963: Instant replay
- 1963-1964: Computer mouse
- December 1963: Smiley face
- December 1963: Sonny Liston
- December 1963: 'Uncertainty and the welfare econom...
- ▼ December (12)
- ► 2012 (140)
- ► 2011 (190)
1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 advertising africa agriculture antarctica april archaeology architecture art august beatles behavior books business cars china civil rights cold war communication computers crime cuba december dylan economics education eisenhower england entertainment europe fashion february feminism food france germany government health history humor january japan JFK july june law LBJ lifestyle magazines maps march may medicine middle east military MLK movies music nature nixon november nuclear october people photography politics pollution protest radio religion science september sex south america soviet union space sports technology television theater toys transportation undated vietnam warfare words world