In the worst disaster of the space age, some 120 people are killed when a Soviet R-16 intercontinental ballistic missile explodes on the launch pad. It came to be known as the Nedelin Catastrophe because among the victims was Field Marshal Mitrofan Nedelin, the commander of the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces (and the R-16 development program). The disaster was not brought to light by the Soviet government until 1989.
- ► 2014 (106)
- ► 2013 (149)
- ► 2012 (140)
- ► 2011 (190)
- Friday, October 28, 1960: 'Nixonland'
- Undated: 'Closer Than We Think!'
- Tuesday, October 25, 1960: First electronic wristw...
- Monday, October 24, 1960: Nedelin Catastrophe
- September-October: Presidential debates
- Thursday, October 20, 1960: First automated post o...
- Wednesday, October 19, 1960: Martin Luther King ar...
- Wednesday, October 19, 1960: Cuban embargo
- Undated: Housewife syndrome
- Friday, October 14, 1960: Beginnings of the Peace ...
- Thursday, October 13: Pittsburgh Pirates win World...
- Thursday, October 13: Civil rights protests in Jac...
- September-October, 1960: Khrushchev and the U.N.
- Wednesday, October 12, 1960: Khrushchev's shoe
- Wednesday, October 12, 1960: Assassination in Japa...
- Monday-Friday, October 10-14, 1960: LBJ's whistle-...
- Sunday, October 9, 1960: National Historic Landmar...
- Undated: Life in 1960 (as imagined in 1939)
- Undated: Disneyland
- Undated: Josef Mengele
- Monday, October 3, 1960: 'The Andy Griffith Show'
- Saturday, October 1, 1960: The Climatron
- Undated: 'We Insist! Freedom Now Suite'
- ▼ October (23)
1962 1963 1964 1965 advertising africa agriculture antarctica april archaeology architecture art august beatles behavior books business cars china civil rights cold war communication computers crime cuba december dylan economics education eisenhower england entertainment europe fashion february food france germany government health humor january japan JFK july june law LBJ lifestyle magazines march may medicine middle east military MLK movies music nature nixon november nuclear october people photography politics protest radio religion science september sex south america soviet union space sports technology television theater toys transportation undated vietnam warfare words world