Called "The Angel of Death" of Nazi Germany, Josef Mengele flees Argentina after the arrest of Adolf Eichmann (see post of May 11). He will make his way to Brazil, where he lives until his drowning death in 1979. Mengele and other doctors performed grisly experiments on prisoners at the Auschwitz concentration camp.
* "Israeli ex-agent: We allowed Nazi doc to escape" (news report from 2008): @
* Entry from United States Holocaust Memorial Museum: @
* Entry from www.trutv.com: @
* "Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race" exhibition: @
* "Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account" (book): @