American pilot Francis Gary Powers, captured after his U-2 spy plane was shot down on May 1, goes on trial in Moscow. (See previous U-2 entries using "cold war" tag.) He pleads guilty to the charge of crimes against the Soviet people and is sentenced to 3 years in prison, to be followed by 7 years in a labor camp.
* Portions of trial transcript (translated from Russian): @
* Indictment: go to www.foia.cia.gov and search for GARY POWERS TEXT ON INDICTMENT-SOVIET GOV'T ORDERED U-2 SHOT DOWN
* Powers' "Operation Overflight: A Memoir of the U-2 Incident" (passages about trial begin on page 130): @
* Story about U-2 wreckage in Moscow museum (from Popular Mechanics magazine): @
* CIA memo listing overflights of Soviet bloc (dated August 18; from Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum): @
* Overview of U-2 incident (video): @