Top stories of the year, from the Associated Press (link to story: @)
1. Political campaign and election.
2. Khrushchev's ouster.
3. Civil rights
4. Alaska earthquake
5. Viet Nam
6. Red China's A-bomb.
7. Warren report.
8. Violence in Congo
9. President's legislative program.
10. Legislative reapportionment.
From United Press International (link to story: @)
1. Johnson landslide.
2. Khrushchev deposed.
3. Civil Rights act becomes law.
4. War in Viet Nam; U.S. retaliates in Tonkin Bay.
5. Communist China detonates its first nuclear device.
6. Goldwater captures GOP nomination.
7. Negro rioting in northern cities.
8. Warren report finds Oswald alone planned and executed JFK assassination.
9. U.S. surgeon general finds cigarettes a health hazard.
10. Vatican Council ratifies new church practices and attitudes.
* "There Was Steady Progress in Sticky 1964" (Associated Press): @
* "Events of 1964" (Summaries and audio, United Press International): @
* "Year in Review" (newsreels; from Journal TV): @* "Review of 1964" (newsreel; from British Pathe): @