A 58-year-old man was reported doing well after undergoing what is believed to be the first lung transplant of its kind in medical history.
A team of surgeons at the University Medical Center in Jackson, Mississippi, replaced his cancerous left lung with a healthy lung from an unrelated donor in a three-hour operation.
Names of both the donor and the recipient were withheld by medical authorities.
A spokesman for the medical center said the Mississippi team of surgeons made detailed studies in more than 500 experimental animals over a period of seven years prior to attempting the transplant.
Funds for the project were supplied by the office of the Army surgeon general.
-- United Press International
Notes: The lung recipient, John Richard Russell, lived for 18 days. It later emerged that he was a convicted murderer who was serving a life sentence at the state penitentiary at Parchman. (Gov. Ross Barnett commuted his sentence after the operation.)
This post is dated June 11-12 based on the duration of the operation, as noted by lead surgeon Dr. James Hardy, linked below.
* "The First Lung Transplant in Man (1963) and the First Heart Transplant in Man (1964)" (Hardy, Transplantation Proceedings, 1999): @
* "Transplantation of the Lung" (Hardy et al, American Surgical Association, 1964): @
* "The First Lung Transplantation" (Dr. Martin L. Dalton, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 1995): @
* Entry on Hardy from University of Mississippi Medical Center: @
* "Medical Center marks 50th anniversary of momentous surgical achievement" (from UMMC): @
- ► 2016 (41)
- ► 2015 (90)
- ► 2014 (106)
- 1963: Origin of chicken nuggets
- Wednesday, June 26, 1963: JFK in West Berlin
- Monday, June 24, 1963: 'The Negro and the American...
- Monday, June 17, 1963: ASCII
- Monday, June 17, 1963: Abington School District v....
- Sunday, June 16, 1963: First woman in space
- Wednesday, June 12, 1963: The death of Medgar Ever...
- Wednesday, June 12, 1963: 'Cleopatra'
- Tuesday-Wednesday, June 11-12, 1963: First lung tr...
- Tuesday, June 11, 1963: The Stand in the Schoolhou...
- Tuesday, June 11, 1963: Thich Quang Duc
- Monday, June 10, 1963: JFK's 'Peace' speech
- Monday, June 10, 1963: Equal Pay Act
- Wednesday, June 5, 1963: Profumo Affair
- ▼ June (14)
- ► 2012 (140)
- ► 2011 (190)
1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 advertising africa agriculture antarctica april archaeology architecture art august beatles behavior books business cars china civil rights cold war communication computers crime cuba december dylan economics education eisenhower england entertainment europe fashion february feminism food france germany government health history humor january japan JFK july june law LBJ lifestyle magazines maps march may medicine middle east military MLK movies music nature nixon november nuclear october people photography politics pollution protest radio religion science september sex south america soviet union space sports technology television theater toys transportation undated vietnam warfare words world