Saturday, April 20, 1963: Lascaux cave paintings

Dating back some 17,000 years, the underground paintings in southwestern France were discovered in 1940, and public access was allowed in 1948. On April 20, 1963, the caves were closed to the public because of damage to the paintings, primarily from the carbon dioxide generated by the thousands of visitors to the site.
* Lascaux, from Great Archeological Sites (French Ministry of Culture and Communication): @
* International Committee for Preservation of Lascaux: @
* "Early Color Photos from Another World" (from life.com): @
* From Bradshaw Foundation (Geneva, Switzerland): @
* From United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO): @
* From Encyclopedia Britannica: @
* From Atlas Obscura: @
* From Sacred Destinations: @ 
* "The Cave Painters: Probing the Mysteries of the World's First Artists" (Gregory Curtis, 2006): @
* "Lascaux: The Prehistory of Art" (video from Réunion des Musées Nationaux; first of 6 parts): @ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog archive


Follow: @