The Beatles' drummer is fired from the group, primarily because producer George Martin did not think his playing was good enough. Best is replaced by Ringo Starr, whose first gig with the band would be August 18.
Note: The image is from Mersey Beat, which announced the news in its August 23-September 6 issue.
* Entry from www.beatlesbible.com: @
* Entry from www.the-beatles-history.com: @
* Photos of the new lineup (taken August 22; from beatlesource.com): @
* Pete Best biography from Bill Harry, founder of Mersey Beat: @
* www.petebest.com: @
* "The Beatles' many drummers" (from www.onlynorthernsongs.blogspot.ie): @
* Previous Beatles post (George Martin audition, June 6): @