What's believed to be the first flight of a human-powered aircraft capable of taking off under its own power takes place as Derek Piggott pedals a plane to a height of 5 feet and a distance of 50 yards. The SUMPAC (Southampton University Man Powered Aircraft) was designed and built by students at the British university.
* Anniversary story from The Guardian newspaper: @
* Video (from britishpathe.com): @
* Website for SUHPA (Southampton University Human Powered Aircraft): @
* "Gossamer Odyssey: The Triumph of Human-Powered Flight" (book by Morton Grosser): @
* "Man-Powered Flight" (Flying magazine, June 1963): @
* "Man-Powered Flight" (Popular Science magazine, January 1971): @