Funded in part by the U.S. government, this 1961 book summarizes various approaches to, as the editors put it, "the interrogation of an unwilling subject." From the introduction: "For this work, scientists who had done research in each of these areas were asked to review the state of relevant knowledge in their fields, to consider whether and how it might be applied by interrogators, and to evaluate the recourse available to highly motivated persons for resisting the attempted influence."
* Full text of book: @
* "Communist Attempts to Elicit False Confessions from Air Force Prisoners of War" (study by Albert D. Biderman, published in 1957): @
* "China Inspired Interrogations at Guantanamo" (2008 New York Times article, citing the 1957 study): @
* "The Torture Report: An Investigation into Rendition, Detention and Interrogation Under the Bush Administration" (project by American Civil Liberties Union): @
* www.torturingdemocracy.com (website and documentary): @
* www.americantorture.com (website and book): @