Harold Graham makes the first successful free-flight test of the Bell Aerosystems Rocket Belt. Graham travels 112 feet, rising four feet off the ground. The flight lasts 13 seconds.
* Excerpt from "Jetpack Dreams" (book by Mac Montandon): @
* jetpackdreamsthebook.com: @
* Rocket belts and jetpacks website: @
* Entry from flying-contraptions.com: @
* Entry from U.S. Army Transportation Museum: @
* "This Man Can Broad-Jump 368 Feet" (Scientific American, December 1961): @
* Graham obituary (2009): @