According to most accounts, a folk singer from Minnesota named Robert Allen Zimmerman, performing under the name Bob Dylan, arrives in New York on this date and within hours takes the stage on hootenanny night at Cafe Wha? in Greenwich Village. The photo shows Dylan, Karen Dalton and Fred Neil at Cafe Wha? in February 1961. A few days later, Dylan visits Woody Guthrie, his musical idol.
* Account from Rolling Stone magazine: @
* Account from "Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades Revisited" (book by Clinton Heylin): @
* "The Other Side of Greenwich Village '60s Folk Scene" (from fredneil.com): @
* Dylan meets Guthrie, from "Down the Highway: The Life of Bob Dylan" (book by Howard Sounes): @
* Words to "Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie," a Dylan poem: @
* Listen to "Last Thoughts": @