With his wife, Lucille, listening, jazz great Louis Armstrong plays the trumpet near the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt. (Click on photo for a closer look.) Armstrong was on a tour of the Middle East and Africa, sponsored by the U.S. State Department, which sent a series of "jazz ambassadors" abroad to showcase America's image and to forge better relations with Eastern European and developing countries.
* "Jam Session: America's Jazz Ambassadors Embrace the World" (traveling exhibit): @
* "Jam Session" story and photos (from NPR): @
* Story and photos (from New York Times): @
* Story and video (from Voice of America): @
* "Satchmo Blows Up the World" (book by Penny M. Von Eschen): @
* "Jazz Diplomacy" (book by Lisa E. Davenport): @