In the first successful procedure of its kind, surgeons at Massachusetts General Hospital reattach the right arm of 12-year-old Everett "Red" Knowles. The boy's arm had been ripped off at the shoulder while he was trying to jump onto a railroad car.
* Summary from wired.com: @
* United Press International story, published June 14, 1962: @
* Associated Press story, published June 28, 1962: @
* Associated Press story, published May 23, 1982: @
* "The West Service and the Reunion of 1962" (Massachusetts General Hospital Surgical Society Newsletter, Spring 2006): @
* "He Takes a Grip on Life" (Life magazine, August 2, 1963): @* Obituary of Dr. Ronald Malt, lead surgeon (The Lancet, November 2002): @