The second food stamp program in 20th-century America -- the first was during the latter part of the Great Depression -- goes into effect. From the U.S. Department of Agriculture: "Mr. and Mrs. Alderson Muncy of Paynesville, West Virginia, were the first food stamp recipients on May 29, 1961. They purchased $95 in food stamps for their 15-person household. In the first food stamp transaction, they bought a can of pork and beans at Henderson's Supermarket."
* Summary (from livinghistoryfarm.org): @
* Summary (from The West Virginia Encyclopedia): @
* History of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Progam (from USDA): @
* Executive Order 10914, "Providing for an Expanded Program of Food Distribution to Needy Families." (Signed by President Kennedy on January 21, 1961): @
* "20 Years Later, Food Stamps Change" (New York Times, 1981): @