The United States' Strategic Air Command sends a specially outfitted Boeing EC-135 plane into the air. Its purpose is to allow the U.S. government to retain control of its nuclear arsenal in the event of an attack on the country, particularly the SAC command post in Omaha, Nebraska. Flying in shifts, EC-135s are aloft 24 hours a day.
* Summary (from nebraskastudies.org): @
* Summary (from Federation of American Scientists): @
* "America's Top-Secret Doomsday Plan" (Popular Mechanics, May 1994): @
* EC-135 entry from Strategic Air and Space Museum: @
* U.S. Strategic Command website: @