* August 31: Citing the Berlin crisis and France's nuclear testing, the Soviet Union announces to the world that it is ending its three-year moratorium on testing and will detonate a nuclear weapon the next day. (Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev had informed the Soviet nuclear community on July 10 of his decision.)
* September 1: A 16-kiloton device is detonated at the Semipalatinsk Test Site in central Asia.
Time magazine cover from September 8.
* "Early record on text moratoriums" (from Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 1986): @
* Excerpt from "The Nuclear Express: A Political History of the Bomb and is Proliferation": @
* Excerpt from "President Kennedy: Profile of Power": @
* atomicarchive.com: @
* Semipalatinsk website: @